Police Department FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


How do I apply for a Concealed Weapon Permit? 
To apply for a License to Carry a Concealed Weapon (CCW), applicants must meet specific criteria. Please read the procedure carefully. The completed application must be submitted with additional required documents and fees to the San Luis Obispo Police Department for review. Incomplete applications will be returned.  Click here for DOJ CCW Application.

Are you prepared for winter?
Winter Weather Preparedness

Do you have a traffic concern?

Email the Traffic Division at with traffic related issues or concerns.

Looking for traffic ticket info?

Why am I getting billed for false alarms?

The City contracts with a vendor for false alarm billing. For more information please visit our False Alarm Billing page.

Can I register my bicycle with the police department?
Yes, you can register your bicycle by completing this online registration form.   Or you can download a PDF version.

What is the San Luis Obispo Police Department business line phone number?
Non Emergency, Business Line is 805-781-7317.

What time does the Police Records Department open?
Records is open on Monday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Wednesday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, closed Friday. 

What is the Records fax number?

What are the hours for court ordered bookings?
We have court-ordered booking hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. It is a good idea to call ahead at 805-781-7311 to ensure officer availability.

How do I dispose of household and prescription medication?
SLOPD no longer facilitates medication disposal. All local pharmacies are now equipped to accept medications.

How do I file a police report?
To report an emergency, dial 911. Non-emergency calls should be reported by calling 805-781-7317. Or you can make a report using our lobby phone near the front entrance.

Should I call police if I see something suspicious or unusual in my neighborhood?
YES! Police need your help in recognizing when something’s wrong. Your input is vital and we need your help. Most criminals are caught when witnesses see something suspicious and call police. 

At what hour can I complain about a loud party or noise?
Noise violations can occur at any hour and may include noise sources such as music, voices, social gatherings, leaf blowers, construction etc. Commercial areas generally have less restrictive noise regulations.

Where do I report a noise violation?
Call the department non-emergency line at 805-781-7312.

What can I do about a neighboring house where I believe occupancy numbers are more than is safe or legal?
Contact the City's Code Enforcement Coordinator at 805-781-7180.

How do I report a vehicle that has been abandoned?
Write down a description of the vehicle, the license plate number and the address where it is parked. Call the non-emergency line at 805-781-7312 with the information.

How can I purchase a copy of my police report?
You will need: photo ID, case number, and report release fee. Bring these items to the Records counter during our regular hours of operation. All reports will be released at the discretion of Records personnel.

How much will my report cost me?
The cost of a report depends on the type of report and also the number of pages it includes. Please ask one of our Records Clerks to assist you in determining the final charge. 

How can I purchase a copy of my police report if I live out of town?
Call Records at 805-781-7311 to determine if the report is available, whether you can obtain a copy and how much it will cost. When you have this information, prepare a cover letter requesting the report and enclose the following: a photocopy of your photo identification, a check for the amount given to you by records made payable to the City of San Luis Obispo and a return envelope. The report will be mailed back to you within 15 working days. We do not fax reports.

How can I get a copy of my accident report?
If a report was taken, you must be named as a party involved in the accident or an insurer of the named party in order to obtain a copy of your report. Please bring photo identification. A report release fee will be charged.

Where can I get a taxi or massage permit?
Informational packets and applications for permits must be obtained from the Records Department.

Find more information on Massage PermitsTaxi Permits, and Non-Motor Driven Vehicle Permits.

Where can I get a Mobile Food Truck permit?

Find more information on food truck permits.

How do I file an informal discovery request?
Informal Discovery

How do I file a complaint?
Complete the Citizen Complaint Form and bring it to the lobby of the police department. If the lobby door is locked pick up the red phone to the left of the door and communications will let you into the lobby. Ask to talk to the watch commander who can see the written complaint and answer any questions.  

What are the requirements for a pawn broker or second hand dealer?
Please refer to the DOJ Application Handbook for more information.

How do I claim a repossessed vehicle?
The registered/legal owner of the vehicle must present identification, pertinent documentation, and pay a repossession fee.

Does SLOPD conduct safety inspections for child car seats?
Yes! Contact Field Service Technician Jason Barrett at to make an appointment for an inspection or new seat installation. While Jason can inspect/install all levels of seats (and even confirm when your child is ready to get out of a booster), he is also working with other local agencies and hospitals to provide car seat classes for soon-to-be parents. Please contact him for details.

How do I claim a towed or impounded vehicle?
Vehicles can only be released to the registered/legal owners. ID and all pertinent paperwork must be presented and a release fee collected at the time of release. Thirty day stored vehicles will not be released prior to 30 days without approval from a traffic officer. Please bring your ID, license plate number or case number with you. Vehicles will only be released to drivers with a valid license.

How can I retrieve my property?
Property will only be released to its rightful owner. To retrieve property, you must show photo ID and pay the release fee (does not apply to victims). Release hours are by appointment only. Please call 805-781-7083 for an appointment.

How do I get a ticket signed off?
If you have received a “fix it” ticket, it can be signed off at our department. If you have received a citation issued by the California Highway Patrol, then you should contact a member of that agency for a citation "sign-off". The Police Department Records office will determine if an officer is available. If an officer is available then they will be asked to examine the violation and sign it off. Please have your ticket with you, photo ID, and your repaired vehicle.

Under “Megan’s Law,” can I see if registered sex offenders live in my neighborhood?
The public can access the applicable files at the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s facility at 1585 Kansas Avenue (off Highway 1 near Cuesta College). Phone ahead for information at 805-781-4550.  Look on the Megan's Law website as well for public information.

How do I access my own criminal history?
To receive a copy of a criminal history record, individuals must submit Live Scan* or manual fingerprints and a $25 fee to the California Department of Justice. 

For a complete criminal history, contact:

California Department of Justice
Record Review Unit
PO Box 903417
Sacramento CA 94203-4170

*If you live in California, you must use the Live Scan fingerprint process.

How do I get a clearance letter?
Some of the common reasons for requesting a clearance letter may be to travel abroad or to adopt a child. Prior to submitting your request, determine if the clearance letter requires notarization from a Notary Public, then submit a legible copy of your photo identification, i.e., driver's license or passport; a fee of $25, and the completed clearance letter request form. There is no additional fee for the notary service. Complete the Clearance Letter Request Form and forward your request to the Records Department of the San Luis Obispo Police Department, 1042 Walnut Street, San Luis Obispo CA 93401.

Where is fingerprinting done?
The San Luis Obispo Police Department does not provide fingerprinting to the public. The following is a partial list of agencies in San Luis Obispo that still offer this service:     

San Luis Obispo County Office of Education
805-782-7236 - Call for appointment

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office
805-781-4575 - Call for appointment

Cal Poly University
805-756-6663 - Call for appointment