Reserving City Parks and Facilities

Permit requests will currently be denied. The City of San Luis Obispo is working closely with the County of San Luis Obispo in discussing best practices in restoring permitted uses for City Facilities. When the City of San Luis Obispo receives direction from the County of San Luis Obispo and what the best practices will be for opening facilities to the community, select facilities that follow prior social distancing may open to the community with modified schedules and implementing other safety precautions. There is currently no timeline for the reopening of Facilities.

All reservations must be made no less than seven working days prior to the event. All permits must be signed with all applicable fees paid no later than seven working days prior to the event. Reservations are made no more than three months in advance of the event (with the exception of the Jack House). 

Permits may be requested through the online reservation system or by contacting the reservation desk at (805) 781-7222.

Parks and Recreation Permits

The Parks and Recreation Department processes several permits related to the use of City parks and facilities. For more information on special permits, contact

 Dave Setterlund at (805) 781-7067

  • Special Event Permits

Devin Hyfield at (805) 781-7295

  • Bounce House Permits
  • Tournament Permit Application
  • Street Banner Permits
  • Film Permits

Special Event Permit: Application

All organizers wishing to host a special event within the City of San Luis Obispo must thoroughly complete a Special Events Permit Application.

  • Note: This application is best viewed in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. Downloading and saving the PDF application is suggested for ease of use.
  • The application must be received at least 90 days prior to the event - There is a $50 Rush Fee if under the 90 days.
  • All special event fees applicable to your event are determined by the fee policy included in the Special Events Ordinance.

    • Application:
    • Full Park:
      • Daily: $514
    • Mission Plaza Fee:
      • Non-profit: $522.50
      • For Profit: $624

Offering Water At Your Event

Tips - Click here
Bring You Own Beverage Container
Pfand System
Cleaning Station
Giving Out Beverage Containers
Reusable Beverage Containers
Recycling Collection
Public Water Access
Providing Your Own Water

Bike Policy and Implementation

Click here

Street Banner Permits: Reserve Online ONLY

There are two downtown locations to showcase your banner: the intersection of Higuera and Chorro and the intersection of Marsh and Carmel.

  • Banners are permitted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • For the complete Banner Reservation process, find easy to use instructions here.
  • Banner Reservations are NOT guaranteed until the reservation request has been approved and full payment is received. Full payment MUST be received within five business days of approval or the permit will be canceled.
  • Banner Policy & Procedures 
  • NOTE: The minimum size a banner can be is 3 ft. x 8 ft. and the maximum is 4 ft. x 24 ft. Recommended Banner Size: 4 ft x 15 ft. Banners not meeting minimum requirements WILL NOT BE HUNG.
  • Banners with missing, torn or ripped out grommet pieces WILL NOT BE HUNG!
  • Banner event name must be written in marker on both ends of the reverse side of the banner.
  • Fees: Banner Placement Fee: $200. Permit Processing Fee $15.

Film Permit: Application

A Film Permit Application, proof of general liability insurance of no less than $1,000,000 and appropriate fees are necessary for approval of filming on City property. 

  • Film Permit Fees:
    Commercial Filming: $140
    Still Photography: $107
    Documentary: $95
    Non-profit Organizations: $43

Bounce House Permits

All bounce house uses within City parks require a permit and an up-to-date copy of the bounce house company’s insurance must be on file with the Parks and Recreation Department. For more information call 781-7222. 

  • Bounce houses are only allowed at these four City parks: Johnson, Meadow, Sinsheimer, Santa Rosa
  • Generators are required, as the City does not provide electricity.

Tournament Permit: Application 

Tournament play at any of the City's facilities requires a permit.

The City of San Luis Obispo Parks and Recreation Department is committed to providing recreational opportunities to all ability levels. We welcome people with disabilities into our recreation programs through specialized programs and inclusion opportunities. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination of for individuals with disabilities, if you need specialized assistance to participate in any City sponsored classes, events or activities, please contact the front desk staff (805-781-7300 & In order to best accommodate your individual needs, we ask that you let us know of any accommodations needed at the time of registration and or at least 48 hours in advance of any City sponsored program. For further information on accommodation requests contact the front desk staff (805-781-7300 & 711 California Relay Service (which is also capable of handling TTY calls) is also available. The 711 service is available for those calling from within California.