Reserving City Parks and Facilities
All reservations must be made no less than seven working days prior to the event. All permits must be signed with all applicable fees paid no later than seven working days prior to the event. Reservations are made no more than three months in advance of the event (with the exception of the Jack House).
Permits may be requested through the online reservation system or by contacting the reservation desk at (805) 781-7222.
Parks and Recreation Permits
The Parks and Recreation Department processes several permits related to the use of City parks and facilities. For more information on special permits, contact
Devin Hyfield at (805) 781-7295
- Bounce House Permits
- Tournament Permit Application
- Street Banner Permits
Dave Setterlund at (805) 781-7067
- Special Event Permits
- Film Permits
Special Event Permit: Application
All organizers wishing to host a special event within the City of San Luis Obispo must thoroughly complete a Special Events Permit Application.
- Note: This application is best viewed in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. Downloading and saving the PDF application is suggested for ease of use.
- The application must be received at least 90 days prior to the event.
- All special event fees applicable to your event are determined by the fee policy included in the Special Events Ordinance.
- Park Only Fee: $100 (non-refundable)
- Encroachment Fee: $160 (non-refundable)
- Full Park:
- Daily: $460
- Mission Plaza Fee:
- Non-profit: $460
- For Profit: $560
Offering Water At Your Event
Tips - Click here
Bring You Own Beverage Container
Giving Out Beverage Containers
Reusable Beverage Containers
Public Water Access
Providing Your Own Water
Bike Policy and Implementation
Street Banner Permits: Reserve Online ONLY
There are two downtown locations to showcase your banner: the intersection of Higuera and Chorro and the intersection of Marsh and Carmel.
- Banners are permitted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- For the complete Banner Reservation process, find easy to use instructions here.
- Banner Reservations are NOT guaranteed until the reservation request has been approved and full payment is received. Full payment MUST be received within five business days of approval or the permit will be canceled.
- Banner Policy & Procedures
- NOTE: The minimum size a banner can be is 3 ft. x 8 ft. and the maximum is 4 ft. x 24 ft. Recommended Banner Size: 4 ft x 15 ft. Banners not meeting minimum requirements WILL NOT BE HUNG.
- Banners with missing, torn or ripped out grommet pieces WILL NOT BE HUNG!
- Banner event name must be written in marker on both ends of the reverse side of the banner.
- Fees: Banner Placement Fee: $200. Permit Processing Fee $15.
Film Permit: Application
A Film Permit Application, proof of general liability insurance of no less than $1,000,000 and appropriate fees are necessary for approval of filming on City property.
- Film Permit Fees:
Commercial Filming: $126
Still Photography: $95
Non-profit Organizations: $37
Bounce House Permits
All bounce house uses within City parks require a permit and an up-to-date copy of the bounce house company’s insurance must be on file with the Parks and Recreation Department. For more information call 781-7222.
- Bounce houses are only allowed at these four City parks: Johnson, Meadow, Sinsheimer, Santa Rosa
- Generators are required, as the City does not provide electricity.
Tournament Permit: Application
Tournament play at any of the City's facilities requires a permit.
The City of San Luis Obispo Parks and Recreation Department is committed to providing recreational opportunities to all ability levels. We welcome people with disabilities into our recreation programs through specialized programs and inclusion opportunities. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination of for individuals with disabilities, if you need specialized assistance to participate in any City sponsored classes, events or activities, please contact the front desk staff (805-781-7300 & email@example.com). In order to best accommodate your individual needs, we ask that you let us know of any accommodations needed at the time of registration and or at least 48 hours in advance of any City sponsored program. For further information on accommodation requests contact the front desk staff (805-781-7300 & firstname.lastname@example.org). 711 California Relay Service (which is also capable of handling TTY calls) is also available. The 711 service is available for those calling from within California.