***ALL CLASSES AND ACTIVITIES ARE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED***
Virtual Recreation Center
Activities For All Ages!
Please note that we do not endorse or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Earth themed activities: - NEW!
Sound Map Activity! Click here
Swim Lessons at Home! Click here
Family Water Safety! Click here
May is Water Safety Month so we are re-sharing videos we made last years for you to teach your kids at home!
- Reach or Throw, Don't Go!
- Look Before You Leap
- Circle Swimming
- Don't just pack it, Wear your jacket!
New! At-Home Scavenger Hunt! Click here
New! Junior Giants at Home registration is NOW OPEN!
Sign up for our first virtual season and bring the fun of the field to your home. During the 4-week season, Junior Giants learn the fundamentals of the game and are introduced to important lessons in health, education & character development!
The live, age-specific practices include indoor friendly exercises, Word of the Week talks and training videos from the @SFGiants coaching staff! Let’s root for the home team - sign up now at jrgiantsathome.org/
Read with us! Learn, Swim, Grow Videos
- Take a Virtual Fitness Class - There are plenty of FREE options online. Here are just a few:
For the Kids
- Fitness Blender for Kids - Free fitness videos
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Kid friendly videos
- Staying Active Indoors with Sports – Fun Activities to stay active
- Games for Kids – beat cabin fever - 87 games for kids to burn that energy
- 87 Energy Busting Indoor Games and Activities
SLO Swim Center - Swimming theme activities
- Pride - PG
- The Sandlot - PG
- Chasing Mavericks - PG
- Surfs Up - PG
- Lilo and Stitch - PG
- The Guardian – PG 13
- Soul Surfer - PG
- North Shore - PG
- Blue Crush – PG 13
- Gidget - G
- Wild About Safety with Timon & Pumbaa: Safety Smart In TheWater - G
- Llama Llama Learns to Swim
- Stewie the Duck Learns to Swim
- Spot Goes to the Swimming Pool
- Maisy Learns to Swim
- Froggy Learns to Swim
- Dora the Explorer – Swim, Boots, Swim
- Peppa Goes Swimming
- Danger Rangers in Cool By the Pool
- Otter Let’s Go Swimming
- My First Swim Class
- The Beach Boys
- Jack Johnson
- Colbie Caillat
- Baby Shark
Art and Music
- Free coloring pages
- Family dance alongs!
- Art & Writing Lessons
- Become a Pen Pal: Craft a letter to the seniors in your community. Children and youth can send some love and cheer by writing letters or drawing pictures to send in the mail…like in the olden days!
- SLO Skate Park - helmet painting! - NEW!
Kids Love Soccer
Online Sports Activities
- Baseball fun drills -via YouTube.
- Soccer Drills and Skills – YouTube Soccer fun for home
- More Soccer at Home
- Sporting facilities tours - virtual tours
Sporting events: Just because all sporting events have been cancelled doesn’t mean you cannot watch sports. Check out the new (and intensely addicting) craze sweeping the world – marble racing on YouTube:
- Jelle’s Marble Runs - YouTube Channel
- Marbulea One racing – YouTube Channel
- Marble Racing on Sand Tracks – YouTube Channel
NEW: Family 4 week Challenge: Family ‘contest’ where person who improves their scores the most over the set time, wins the challenge.
- Longest timed plank
- Longest side plank – both sides
- Number of pushups in 1 minute
- Number of situps in 1 minute
- Number of burpees in 2 minutes
- Longest Superman (laying flat, arms and legs outstretched & off ground)
- Number star jumps in 2 minutes
- 2 mins of mountain climbers
- Longest Wall-sit (back against wall, knees over toes, keep thighs parallel to ground)
- Number of chair dips in 1 minute
- Timed Run or Speed Walk around your Residential Block
- 30 Day Family Fitness Challenge - examples
Have the kids create a score sheet and do these every day (or every other day) and keep track of your families’ progress.
Other fitness challenge ideas:
- How to Create a Fitness Challenge for your family
- Fitness Challenges for Whole Family.
- Ideas, Tips and Tricks for Family Fitness Challenge – Signup Genius
- Fitness Tracking Examples
- Family Health Challenge - Pinterest
Activities for Older Adults
The Clubhouse Senior Center: The Clubhouse is here to help our 50+ population stay active and engaged during this time. Below, please find helpful links to fun games, continuing education, physical exercise, books, and magazines!
- Virtual Sudoku: Sudoku
- Virtual Games: AARP Games
- Language Courses: BBC Languages
- Jazz Profiles: NPR Jazz Series
- Get Active: NIA Physical Activity Exercises
- Books, Magazines, and more: OC Public Libraries
- Learn how to play Chess - via YouTube
- Learn how to play Checkers - via YouTube
- Activities for Older Adults - Chair exercises
- GoForLife Workout – 60 minute workout for older adults
- Memory games
Live Educational Streams
- Head to the Monterey Bay Aquarium through their live stream.
- Visit one of many museums around the work through their virtual tours.
Want to know what your favorite animals are doing right now? Take a peek using these zoo live streams!
National Parks Virtual Tours
- Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
- Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida
- Yosemite National Park, California
- Explore Hidden World of National Parks - YouTube
World Class Museums
- The Louvere Museum
- The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- The British Museum
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Google Art Project
TRAVEL the World
Exercise your Brain
- Visit San Luis Obispo’s Virtual Library - The library has tons of free Digital ebooks, magazines, resources and online streaming of movies, just to name a few.
Ranger Services at Home Activities
Great Apps to help entertain Children Outdoors:
- For plant identification use: Seek by iNaturalist
- Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab
- eBird by Cornell Lab
- Build a plant press & start an herbarium (plant library): You can clip a piece of the plant and press it into a plant press book! - Click Here
- Wilderness Wednesday Challenge: Go on a hike in open space to look for the wilderness Wednesday resident of the week
- Scavenger Hunts: Go on these scavenger hunts or make up your own as a family - Click Here
- Start a Nature Journal: Click Here
- Seven Sisters Crossword Puzzle: Click Here
- National Geographic: Native Americans - CA | Click Here
- Build a Bird House: Habitat is very important for birds! You can build the perfect nest box for your backyard! Click Here
- Type in the region then select ‘Open Woodland’ or ‘Town’ then pick the species of bird house you’ll build. Click Here
Build an Owl Box
Owl’s are a key predator to keeping rodent populations down. Some people even use them to manage their land and take care of their crops.
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society - Barn Owl’s: The Secret Saviors of Napa’s Wineries
- Activity: Owling at night - use your ears and eyes to possibly see owls in the act. They like to sit on telephone poles at sunset. Click Here
Recreation Resources available in Spanish
- Alejandro Maldonado- Meditation
- Aquí hay un enlace para varios videos sobre meditación guiada. Están destinados a enseñarle varios ejercicios de respiración.
- 17 Fun Educational Crafts to do with kids Ages 5-8
- ¡Aquí hay 17 manualidades educativas que puede hacer con sus hijos utilizando materiales que se encuentran en casa!
- Tai Chi for Beginners
- Para aquellos que necesitan un descanso del mundo real, aquí hay un video sobre los fundamentos del tai chi
- Workout routine for Abs and Legs
- ¿No tienes acceso al gimnasio? No te preocupes ¡Prueba esta rutina hecha para hacer en casa!
Become a Class Instructor!
Our Community Services division also strives to provide quality recreational activities in the form of classes and camps. For information on becoming a class instructor for the City of San Luis Obispo review our contract class instructor policies here.