Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

We are pleased to provide video answers to some of the more commonly asked questions we hear in the community. If you have a question, please share it with Chief Aggson. Based on frequency, we may make your question into a new video!

For more frequently asked questions about Fire Service operations in San Luis Obispo County, please visit the SLO County Fire Chiefs' Association FAQ page.

  • If there's an evacuation, where will be asked to go?

  • Why does the big fire truck respond to sprained ankles?

  • Why does San Luis Obispo need 4 fire stations?

  • Why do we need a 100-foot ladder truck if we don't have 100-foot tall buildings?

  • If I have fire sprinklers in my home or business, is it going to flood and ruin everything if I have a fire?

  • Why did you chop that big hole in my roof!?! The fire was in the kitchen, not the attic!

  • How can I become a SLO City Firefighter?


How do I request a copy of a fire or medical report?

You can call 781-7380. Fee may apply.

How can I obtain a tent permit?

Complete the Tent Permit Form bring it into Fire Station 1 at 2160 Santa Barbara Ave. The application will be reviewed for approval.

How can I obtain a Special Events permit?

Complete the Special Events Application bring it into Fire Station 1 located at 2160 Santa Barbara Ave. The application will be reviewed for approval.

How do I find out if I need a Fire Permit to operate my business?

Please contact Rodger Maggio, Fire Marshal at 805-781-7386 or

How do I order a Knox Box for Commercial or Residential use?

Apply online at If you have questions regarding a Knox Box please contact Molly Brown at 805-781-7560 or

The standard Knox Box to order for properties within the City of San Luis Obispo is a black 3200 series Knox Box, either flush mount or surface mount, to be mounted in a location approved by the Fire Department, at a height of 6 feet above grade. A tamper switch is not required.

My carbon monoxide detector went off. Should I do anything?

Exit the house. Call the non-emergency dispatch number 805-781-7317.

How do I report a weed or dead pine tree problem within the City of SLO.

Please read the Weed Notice. For weeds in the County, call Cal Fire at 805-543-4244.

How do I report an abandoned piece of furniture or piles of combustibles?

If the discards are on private property (in a yard) contact Neighborhood Services Division at 805-781-7180. If the discards are on a public sidewalk call the Utilities Department at 805-781-7215. If the discards are in the street, contact the Streets Department at 805-781-7220.

How do I find out if I can cook with an open flame at Farmer's Market?

Call the Fire Marshal at 805-781-7386 or

How do I schedule a construction inspection?

Call the Fire Department Inspection line at 805-783-7775.

How do I request a Fire Department Tour or Public Education Program?

Please fill out this Form

How do I report a hazardous waste/chemical spill?

Call 9-1-1

How do I report a vehicle parked in a fire lane?

During business hours, contact a Fire Inspector at 805-781-7383. After business hours and on weekends, call the City Police Department non-emergency line at 805-781-7312.

How do I report unsafe living conditions?

Call the City Code Enforcement Division at 805-781-7180.

How do I request an inspection for my Daycare Center?

Contact the Fire Department Inspector at 805-781-7560.

How do I know if my fire extinguisher is operable?

Check the gauge to make sure the arrow is in the green area. All commercial business properties are required to have their fire extinguishers serviced annually by a State licensed fire extinguisher contractor.

How do I get rid of my old fire extinguisher?

You should "use" the extinguisher to release the pressurized gas. This can be a messy process. Take the old extinguisher outside. You want to release the gas in either a shrubbery area or your outdoor garbage can. Pull the pin at the handle, aim the hose or top of extinguisher into shrubbery or garbage can (away from you), squeeze the handle and the gas will release. The chemical extinguishing agent will probably come out with the gas. After the gas is released, you can safely discard the extinguisher in the trash.

How do I get rid of old fireworks?

Contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal at 916-445-8373.

How do I report a hoarder?

Call the San Luis Obispo County Adult Protective Services Department at 805-781-1790.

What can I do if my landlord does not take care of a Fire Safety Issue?

Call the Fire Department Inspector at 805-781-7560.

How can I get a copy of the Fire Department Inspection Report for my business or apartment building?

Call the Fire Department at 805-783-7773.