Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



  • How can I dispose of household hazardous materials such as paint, motor oil, etc?
  • How can I dispose of bulk items such as couches, mattresses, televisions, etc?
  • What happens if my property is in violation?
  • I received a Notice to Correct for violations in my front yard , what does that mean?
  • How does City staff become aware of potential code violations?
  • What are some examples of City codes the City staff enforce?
  • Why does the City enforce violations of Building and Zoning Regulations?
  • What is Code Enforcement?
More »



  • How do I get rid of used motor oil?
  • How do I dispose of needles and sharps?
  • What should I do with my broken steam iron, waffle maker, ice cream maker, crock pot, vacuum cleaner, or similar item?
  • Why can’t I recycle Styrofoam?
  • 5. What are "Street Trees" and who maintains them? Can a Street Tree be removed?
  • 4. Can a tree be removed without paying for a tree removal permit?
  • 6. What qualifications are required by the City when hiring a tree care contractor to prune my private trees or the City Street Tree in front of my property?
  • 1. When does a tree in the City of San Luis Obispo require a Tree Removal Permit?
  • 2. How much does it cost to submit a tree removal application?
  • 3. Can anyone remove a tree in the City of San Luis Obispo?
  • How do I apply for a permit?
  • What type of approval will I need for my business?
  • I want to build an accessory building on my property? What is the process? What can I build?
  • What materials do I need to submit for an exception?
  • How much will my application cost?
  • What does Architectural Review evaluate?
  • My property is on the Master or Contributing list of historic resources, what does this mean?
  • How long will it take to obtain a building permit?
  • How can I recycle my hazardous waste?
  • I want more information on curbside recycling; where do I sign up?
More »