Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q. I have been charged with a criminal violation. Will the City Attorney defend me in court?
A. The City Attorney only represents the government, Council and departments of the City of San Luis Obispo. If you are in need of legal representation you should contact a private attorney or have a Public Defender appointed by the Court.

Q. Can you give me the name of a good lawyer?
A. The San Luis Obispo County Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral and Information Service that can be reached at (805) 541 - 5502

Q. How do I file a claim against the City?
A. The form can be found on the City Clerk's webpage or picked up in that office (City Hall, Room 4) Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.

Q. I have a problem with my neighbor. What can I do?
A. Noise violations and unruly gatherings can be reported to the Police Department's non-emergency phone number (805) 781 - 7317. Suspected building code violations can be reported online to the Neighborhood Wellness Program or by calling (805) 781 - 7179.

Q. I live in the City, can you answer a legal question for me?
A. The City Attorney can discuss legal issues related to the City Municipal Code, agenda items or other City-related issues. However, the City Attorney is not permitted to give legal advice to private citizens or groups on personal matters.

Q. Can you help me deal with my landlord?
A. The City Attorney's Office is not authorized to assist with or answer questions about landlord-tenant disputes, consumer complaints or small claims issues. The Economic Crime Unit of the District Attorney's Office handles those and other issues and can be reached at (805) 781 - 5856.

Q. Is your office prosecuting my traffic ticket? 
A. Traffic violations, felonies and most misdemeanors (except violations of the City Municipal Code) are prosecuted by the County District Attorney's Office which can be reached at (805) 781 - 5800.