Monterey Bay Community Power
In October of 2018, the City Council committed to joining Monterey Bay Community Power (MBCP). MBCP is an existing community choice energy program that serves the counties of Santa Cruz, San Benito, and Monterey and provides 100 percent carbon free electricity with a rate savings relative to PG&E.
In December of 2018, MBCP accepted the City of San Luis Obispo and the City of Morro Bay into its program. The community will begin receiving service in January of 2020. Information about MBCP is available at: https://www.mbcommunitypower.org/.
The City of San Luis Obispo currently holds voting seats on MBCP's Policy Board and Operations Board. In addition, the community is represented on MBCP's Community Advisory Council.
What is Community Choice Energy?
Community Choice Energy (CCE), sometimes referred to as “Community Choice Aggregation,” brings local control, freedom of choice and competition into the electricity marketplace. It does so by allowing local governments to pool the electricity demand of their communities, purchasing power with higher renewable content and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
Community Choice Energy programs offer a number of benefits, including:
- Sustainability — Significant increase in renewable energy generation and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Economics — Competitive and stable rates. CCE’s also help support the local economy through jobs creation and local power development.
- Customer Choice — Competition and choice in the local electricity market, providing ratepayers with options about their power supplier and level of clean energy they wish to support.
- Community Control — CCE's are community-run, mission-driven, and accountable to the people and businesses they serve.
- MBCP Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement
- City Ordinance approving Community Choice Energy
- City Resolution requesting membership in MBCP
- Memorandum of Understanding between the City of San Luis Obispo and the City of Morro Bay to share representation on the MBCP Policy Board and Operations Board