Climate action is consistently identified as a top issue by local residents. In responding to this priority, the City is currently developing a plan to achieve carbon neutrality by 2035. This effort is the most ambitious in the nation and will require collaboration throughout the community.
The City is also committed to the "action" part of "climate action." For example, in 2018, the City installed 19 electric vehicle chargers, adopted a sustainability oriented Zoning Code, and joined Monterey Bay Community Power to provide carbon free electricity to the community starting in 2020 (among many other actions!).
You can contribute to the Climate Action Plan update and do your part to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the following ways:
- Learn about the The Clean Energy Choice Program for New Buildings.
- Participate in the Climate Action Plan update.
- Calculate your greenhouse gas emissions, find ways to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions, and compete against your neighbors with the SLO Green Challenge (external website).
- Join your fellow residents in helping achieve a carbon neutral future with the SLO Climate Coalition (external website).
- Learn more about actions already taken by the City and State to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, enhance resiliency, and contribute to a thriving community.
*Stay up to date by signing up for e-notifications*