Public Review Draft Climate Action Plan
The Public Review Draft of The City of San Luis Obispo Climate Action Plan for Community Recovery (Climate Action Plan) is available for public review through July 22, 2020.
The plan establishes a community-wide goal of carbon neutrality by 2035, adopts sector specific goals, and provides foundational actions to establish a trajectory towards achieving those goals.
While the plan is centered around reducing community greenhouse gas emissions, it also focuses on using resources more effectively, improving community equity and well-being, and developing an economy that is set to recover from the impacts of COVID-19 and thrive in a rapidly changing 21st century.
The Climate Action Plan includes the following components (click here for all the documents in one file or click the orange text to download each document):
- Volume 1: Stories from 2035 - Volume 1 provides a summary of the Climate Action Plan through stories told from the future about a post-COVID 19 carbon neutral San Luis Obispo and the foundational actions that were undertaken to get there. A printable version of Volume 1 is available here.
- Volume 2: Technical Foundation and Work Program - Volume 2 describes the Climate Action Plan update process, provides a greenhouse gas emissions inventory summary, describes the foundational actions required to achieve deep reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, and includes a work program for plan implementation.
- Technical Appendices
- Appendix A - Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory and Forecast - Provides the methods and data used to calculate the greenhouse gas emissions inventories and forecasts used in the Climate Action Plan.
- Appendix B - Reduction Measure Quantification - Provides the methods and data used to estimate greenhouse gas emissions reductions expected to occur as the result of plan implementation.
- Appendix C - Greenhouse Gas Emissions Thresholds and Quantification Consistency Review for New Development -
The 2020 Climate Action Plan includes emissions thresholds and a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Consistency Checklist to assist with determining if proposed new building development is consistent with the CAP and to provide a streamlining tool for environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act.
- California Environmental Quality Act Review - Initial Study / Negative Declaration - A Draft Initial Study-Negative Declaration has been prepared to address the environmental impacts of implementing the City of San Luis Obispo Climate Action Plan Update as well as the City of San Luis Obispo California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Significance Thresholds.
Please submit written comments to Chris Read, Sustainability Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stories from the Future
We invite you to share your vision for carbon neutral San Luis Obispo in 2035 through a guided reflective exercise. Your submission can inspire other community members and help shape our next Climate Action Plan update. Share your story here!
- December 3, 2019 Study Session Council Agenda Report and Attachments
- September 18, 2018 Study Session Council Agenda Report
- The City's original Climate Action Plan (adopted in 2012)
Stay up to date on the City's climate work by signing up for e-notifications.