The Planning Commission (PC) meets the second and fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, City Hall, 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, California. For more information contact staff liaison Tyler Corey at (805) 781-7169 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular Planning Commission meetings are broadcast live on Charter Cable Government Access Channel 20 or can be streamed live online. Previous meeting videos are available for viewing and duplicates can be purchased in the City Clerk's Office located at 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, during normal business hours.
Emergency Public Meeting Procedure due to COVID-19:
Based on the threat of COVID-19, as reflected in the Proclamations of Emergency issued by both the Governor of the State of California, the San Luis Obispo County Emergency Services Director and the City Council of the City of San Luis Obispo, the City of San Luis Obispo will be holding all public meetings via teleconference. There will be no physical location for the Public to view the meeting. Proceed to the next section for instructions on how to view the meeting remotely and provide public comment.
How can I express my opinion on an upcoming agenda item?
Using the most rapid means of communication available at this time, members of the public are encouraged to participate in PC meetings in the following ways:
1. Remote Viewing - Members of the public who wish to watch the meeting can view:
- Televised live on Charter Cable Channel 20
- View a livestream of the meeting online at:https://www.slocity.org/channel20
- View the Webinar (recommended for the best viewing quality):
- See the current agenda for Webinar registration details specific to an upcoming meeting
2. Public Comment - The PC will still be accepting public comment for items within their purview. Public comment can be submitted in the following ways:
- Mail or Email Public Comment
- Received by 3:00 PM on the day of meeting - Can be submitted via email to email@example.com or U.S. Mail to City Clerk at: 990 Palm St. San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.
- Emails sent after 3:00 PM and up until public comment is opened on the item – Limited to one page emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be read aloud during the public comment period on the item specified.
- Verbal Public Comment
- Received by 3:00 PM on the day of the meeting - Call (805) 781-7164; State and spell your name, mention the agenda item number and leave your comment. Verbal comments must be received by 3:00 PM on the day of the meeting and will be limited to 3 minutes. Voicemails will be forwarded to PC members and saved as Agenda Correspondence
- During the meeting - For attendees of the Webinar, comments can be submitted up until the Public Comment period is opened for the item. See the current agenda for webinar registration information. Please contact the City Clerk's Office at email@example.com for more information.
NOTE: Written comments relating to an upcoming agenda item will be distributed and posted online as Agenda Correspondence, pursuant to City Policies and Procedures.
Purpose, Membership and Terms
The Planning Commission’s purview is to make recommendations to the City Council for the City’s development, as set forth in San Luis Obispo Municipal Code §2.12.040. To carry out this responsibility the commission will:
1. Prepare and recommend a general plan and appropriate attachments;
2. Prepare and recommend appropriate specific plans;
3. Review the City’s capital improvement program annually;
4. Perform authorized duties related to development review;
5. Perform such other duties required by the Council or by State or City laws.
The PC consist of seven members who are not necessarily planning professionals. Members must be residents and registered voters of the City. Members are appointed to four-year terns and are eligible for re-appointment for an additional four-year term. The roster of current members, date of appointment, and date of term expiration can be reviewed on the City's Local Appointments List.
Subscribe to Planning Commission Agenda Notifications