The Planning Commission (PC) meets the second and fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, City Hall, 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, California. For more information contact staff liaison Tyler Corey at (805) 781-7169 or email@example.com.
Regular Planning Commission meetings are broadcast live on Charter Cable Government Access Channel 20 or can be streamed on the City’s YouTube Channel. Previous meeting videos are available for viewing and duplicates can be purchased in the City Clerk's Office located at 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, during normal business hours.
Emergency Public Meeting Procedure due to COVID-19:
Based on the threat of COVID-19 as reflected in the Proclamations of Emergency issued by both the Governor of the State of California, the San Luis Obispo County Emergency Services Director and the City Council of the City of San Luis Obispo as well as the Governor’s Executive Order N-29-20 issued on March 17, 2020, relating to the convening of public meetings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of San Luis Obispo will be holding all public meetings via teleconference. There will be no physical location for the Public to view the meeting. Below are instructions on how to view the meeting remotely and how to leave public comment. Additionally, members of the Planning Commission are allowed to attend the meeting via teleconference and to participate in the meeting to the same extent as if they were present.
How can I express my opinion on an upcoming agenda item?
Using the most rapid means of communication available at this time, members of the public are encouraged to participate in PC meetings in the following ways:
1. Remote Viewing - Members of the public who wish to watch the meeting can view:
- View the Webinar: Information available on the front page of the current agenda.
- View a livestream of the meeting online on the City’s YouTube Channel at:
- Televised live on Charter Cable Channel 20
Public Comment - Public comment can be submitted in the following ways:
- Mail or Email Public Comment: (Please see front page of current agenda for cut off times.)
- Received on the day of meeting - Can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or U.S. Mail to City Clerk at 990 Palm St. San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.
- Verbal Public Comment:
- In Advance of the Meeting - call (805) 781-7164 (Please see front page of current agenda for cut off times); state and spell your name, the agenda item number you are calling about and leave your comment. The verbal comments must be limited to 3 minutes. All voicemails will be forwarded to the Planning Commissioners prior to the meeting and saved as Agenda Correspondence. Voicemails will not be played during the meeting.
- During the meeting – Join the webinar (instructions on first page of current agenda). Once the meeting has started please put your name and the item # you would like to speak on in the questions box. During public comment for the item your name will be called, and your mic will be unmuted.
NOTE: Written comments relating to an upcoming agenda item will be distributed and posted online as Agenda Correspondence, pursuant to City Policies and Procedures.
Purpose, Membership and Terms
The Planning Commission’s purview is to make recommendations to the City Council for the City’s development, as set forth in San Luis Obispo Municipal Code §2.12.040. To carry out this responsibility the commission will:
1. Prepare and recommend a general plan and appropriate attachments;
2. Prepare and recommend appropriate specific plans;
3. Review the City’s capital improvement program annually;
4. Perform authorized duties related to development review;
5. Perform such other duties required by the Council or by State or City laws.
The PC consist of seven members who are not necessarily planning professionals. Members must be residents and registered voters of the City. Members are appointed to four-year terns and are eligible for re-appointment for an additional four-year term. The roster of current members, date of appointment, and date of term expiration can be reviewed on the City's Local Appointments List.
Subscribe to Planning Commission Agenda Notifications