State Governmental Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Whether you're starting a new business, expanding to a new location or broadening your businesses offerings, you will need to apply for the proper permits and licenses in order to comply with City, State, and/or Federal requirements. 


Alcoholic Beverage Control

If you intend to have your business sell alcoholic beverages, contact the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control for the required permits and licensing.

California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
3220 S. Higuera Street, Ste. 233
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 543-7183

Construction Industry
If you intend to engage in the construction industry, contact the State License Board to determine what special permits/license may be required.

Contractors State License Board
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
(800) 321-2752

Department of Industrial Relations
455 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
(866) 924-9757

Forming a Corporation
If forming a corporation, you must file articles of incorporation with the California Secretary of State.

Secretary of State
1500 11th Street, 3rd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814

Business Programs Division
(916) 657-5448

Trademark Division
(916) 653-3984

Insurance & Workers' Compensation
Worker's Compensation insurance is mandatory for all businesses with employees. Although not mandatory, insurance coverage for general liability, product liability, fire and similar disasters, robbery and theft as well as fidelity bonding for employees who handle cash receipts or other funds are available.

Division of Workers' Compensation
4740 Allene Way, Ste. 100
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 596-4153

Safety and Health Regulations
If you have employees, there are laws that set safety standards designed to prevent injuries arising out of unsafe or unhealthy working conditions. If you have fewer than 10 employees, your business may be exempt from some of the CAL-OSHA requirements.

6150 Van Nuys Blvd, Suite 307
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(800) 963-9424

Seller's Permit / Resale Number
Every business that will sell or lease tangible personal property (merchandise) to customers must obtain a seller's permit from the State Board of Equalization.

State Board of Equalization
P.O. Box 942879
San Francisco, CA 94279
(800) 400-7115

State Licenses
The vast majority of license fees and requirements that are required by the State of California can be obtained through the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Department of Consumer Affairs
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N 112
Sacramento, CA 95834
(800) 952-5210

State Taxes - Withholding
If you have employees, you must register with the state Employment Development Department.

Employment Development Department (EDD)
P.O. Box 826880, MIC 83
Sacramento, CA 94280-0001
(888) 745-3886

Vehicle Registration
Commercial vehicles for a business must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
3190 S. Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(800) 777-0133

Wages, Hours and Child Labor
If you have employees, you should contact the Department of Industrial Relations with regard to minimum wages, overtime pay, employee dismissal requirements, hiring of minors, and fair employment practices.

State Labor Commissioner Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE)
455 Golden Gate Avenue, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 703-5300