Local Governmental Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Whether you're starting a new business, expanding to a new location or broadening your businesses offerings, you will need to apply for the proper permits and licenses in order to comply with City, State, and/or Federal requirements.  

DBA - Fictitious Business Names

If your business name does not include surname in company name or suggests the existence of additional owners, such as Sons; Associates; Brothers; Company then you will need to file and publish a fictitious business name statement. The San Luis Obispo County Recorder can provide applications and answer any questions you may have.

County Recorder
1055 Monterey Street, Ste. D120
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
(805) 781-5080

County Health Permits

The Environmental Health office grants permits to businesses that handle food. Please note that permits do not transfer if you take over an existing food business.

Environmental Health
2156 Sierra Way
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 781-5544

County CUPA Business Plans

If your business involves the handling of hazardous material above threshold quantities, you must submit a Business Plan to the local Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA).

Property Taxes
As owner of record, you will automatically be sent a tax bill by the County Assessor's Office. Tangible personal property exceeding $30,000 is also taxable.

County Assessor
1055 Monterey Street, Ste. D360
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
(805) 781-5643

Tax Collector's Office
1055 Monterey Street, Ste. D290
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
(805) 781-5830