Federal Governmental Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Whether you're starting a new business, expanding to a new location or broadening your businesses offerings, you will need to apply for the proper permits and licenses in order to comply with City, State, and/or Federal requirements.  

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Most small businesses are unlikely to require any type of federal permit to operate, unless they are engaged in rendering investment advice, making alcohol or tobacco products, preparing meat products, or making or dealing in firearms. However, if you have formed a corporation or a partnership, you should apply for a federal employer identification number (Form SS-4) even if the business has no employees.

450 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 522-4061

Tax Center
This site contains many useful topics for small business and the self-employed, including links to information on starting a business, IRS forms and publications, small business events and the IRS video portal.

Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center
611 West Sixth Street
Suite 400-MS 4032
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 833-1226

Ready Business
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Advertising Council's site is designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies, focusing specifically on business preparedness.

Ready Campaign
500 C St, SW Suite 714
Washington, DC 20472

Small Business Administration
Looking to start a business or improve the way your business is managed? Visit this site to find out how the U.S. Small Business Administration can help.

U.S. Small Business Administration
409 3rd St, SW
Washington DC 20416