Supporting Essential Services and Economic Recovery Through Timely Permit Processing
The City of San Luis Obispo is continuing to deliver essential services to the community, including housing and infrastructure projects, while following all necessary safety guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic. Housing is one of the City’s Major City Goals and the City is committed to continuing a high level of service during the Shelter at Home Order. In addition, CDD is preparing to support the economic recovery of San Luis Obispo through timely permit processing.
Below are a few examples the Community Development Department (CDD) has implemented to support the community during this time.
Community Development - Doing Business During the Closure
- The CDD webpage is updated with instructions on how to contact staff and do business during the closure.
- CDD continues to accept all types of applications, perform plan checks, issue permits and inspect construction projects deemed essential.
- Essential projects include all phases of housing development - from entitlement to occupancy - ongoing construction projects, and all public infrastructure.
- The online payment portal has launched. Visit this link to pay application and permit fees online.
- Online applications for encroachment permits, minor use permits, and home occupation permits are now available via this link.
- We are also working on economic recovery and how we can serve the community in an expedited manner after the Shelter and Home Order is lifted.
New Submittals, Resubmittals and Revisions
The following procedure is currently required for new submittals, resubmittals, and revisions to plans:
- During the Shelter at Home Order, CDD will only be accepting plans via courier or other delivery service (FedEx, UPS, GSO, USPS, etc.).
- Please address the package to the appropriate department: Planning, Building, or Engineering, 919 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.
- Small and over-the-counter type Building permits can be emailed to our Permit Technicians at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the review has been completed, the City will return the plans and other correspondence to applicants via courier or USPS.
- Building Permits that are ready to issue will have all final documents emailed to the applicant for signature.
- Payment for fees can be made via the online portal, by check mailed to our office, or credit card over the phone.
- Once final signed documents have been received, the City will send all approved plans and associated supporting documents to the applicant via courier or USPS.
For more information on the Shelter at Home Order visit www.ReadySLO.org or call the recorded Public Health Information Line at (805) 788-2903. A staffed phone assistance center at (805) 543-2444 is available seven (7) days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for questions related to COVID-19.
For more information from the City’s response to COVID-19, please visit www.slocity.org/covid19. The City is committed to keeping our community informed. To receive updates from the City regarding COVID-19, please register for City News e-notifications on the City’s website at www.slocity.org or follow the City of San Luis Obispo on social media.