Skip Navigation

Success Naturally

 

City of San Luis Obispo
Economic Development

SearchContact UsCity Home

SLO Marathon Delivers $3 Million Economic Impact

According to a report compiled by Productive Impact LLC, the inaugural San Luis Obispo marathon and half-marathon had a $3 million economic impact in San Luis Obispo County.    

 

Using data from an online survey of race participants, the study estimates that nearly 80% of the $3 million resulted from spending by the 3,143 participants and their supporters on items such as lodging, food, souvenirs, gas and event preparation. The remaining 20% represents the operational costs for the organizer.    

          

The study also estimates that 55% of participants were non-local and brought an average of three additional people with them to the event. These visitors stayed in the area an average of 1.33 days, generating a total of $37,903 in transient occupancy tax within the County. Event participants also generated $85,153 in sales tax.

 

Working with regional partners to promote recreational activities - such as the marathon - is one of the strategies recommended in the Economic Development Strategic Plan. The success of the marathon is an example of how these types of events contribute to the quality of life in SLO and benefit the local economy.  

           

Programs and Services | Community Profile | SLO Demographics
Business Locations | Business Resources | Moving Here | FAQs | Department Home


About the City | Visiting SLO | City Government | Employment
Bids & Proposals | FAQs | Press Room | How are we doing?

©2014 City of San Luis Obispo