Preparing for 820 area code overlay
The Central Coast and the City of San Luis Obispo will soon see a new area code.
Due to an increasing demand for new numbers, a new 820 area code will be added as an overlay to the 805 region to ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers for the area.
Residents and businesses with telephone numbers from the 805 area code will keep their current telephone number(s) and area code. Beginning June 30, 2018, consumers requesting new or additional telephone numbers for services may be assigned telephone numbers with either the new 820 area code or the original 805 area code, depending on available telephone number inventory.
To prepare for the area code overlay, starting December 1 residents and businesses in the 805 region should:
● Begin dialing 1 + area code + telephone number for all calls.
● Reprogram equipment or features that currently use 7-digit dialing to dial 1+area code + telephone number, including automatic dialers, life safety systems and medical monitoring devices, speed-dialing, call forwarding, voicemail services, modems for computer or Internet dial-up access, and other similar services or equipment.
● Advise family, friends, and business contacts with 805 numbers to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all calls.
● Ensure alarms, security doors and gate systems are reprogrammed to dial 1 + area code + telephone number.
● Test telephone equipment, such as a PBX or fax machine, to determine if it can dial and receive 1 + area code + telephone number. Questions regarding changes in telephone equipment should be directed to telephone equipment vendors.
● Update items such as stationery, checks, business cards, advertisements, promotional items, brochures, Internet webpages, personal and pet ID tags, and catalogs to include the area code in the telephone number if it is not currently reflected.
You will still be able to dial three digits to reach 911, 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711, and 811.
California and other states have successfully implemented approximately 60 area code overlays throughout the U.S. to meet the continual demand for more telephone numbers.
The 805 area code serves portions of Monterey and Kern Counties and most of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties. The 805 area code serves the cities of Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Grover Beach, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County; Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria and Solvang in Santa Barbara County; and Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and Ventura in Ventura County.